For some reason Tatum just touched my heart as soon as she came into our home and I couldn’t let her go. That was just over a year now.
I’m a strong leader of my dog pack. The dogs stay in line, listen to me, do as I say, and respect me as leader. Even the pit bull we fostered for a week respected me. She was a great dog and I didn’t let her get away with any crap. I treated her with love and respect too and got the same in return.
With my collies, though, I tend to spoil them. Levi used to be the worst, but now Tatum is. And I just thought I would make a funny post of the things I have done with her that have caused her to think a bit too highly of herself!
So don’t do these things… because they are things I’ve done to create a spoiled girl!
- Whenever you are sitting on the couch, and your dog stares at you because she wants a spot, don’t make room for her! You will create a dog that will whine and carry on until she gets a spot on the couch! (Actually Levi does this but Tatum is getting closer.)
- Don’t give her a treat whenever you are eating or whenever she asks for it!
- Don’t take her everywhere with you or she’ll never learn how to be comfortable when she’s alone.
- Don’t dress her in pink sweaters and matching pink collars… ooo wait, Tatum has these!
- Don’t baby her when touching her feet and she hates it. Be firm, put her on a grooming table, and be firm with her feet. She’ll be fine!
So yes, Tatum is spoiled! But she’s a good girl and she is learning. And with her, it was necessary to raise her confidence. She was a very frightened girl when she came to live with us. I had everyone give her treats so she reached the point where she wasn’t as afraid of people. I grab her collor and walk with her because she was so very collar shy.
Dogs are great to train, I am fascinated by each dog and how individual they are when they learn. It’s just a good thing that Tatum is not a pit bull or a large forceful breed. She’s a collie, and while she does have her overindulgences, I know her limits and mine and what I can let her get away with and what I cannot let her get away with.
She’s still my baby girl and I’ll spoil her for her whole life!